Every time I visit socal, I have to eat at EMC Seafood & Raw Bar for their infamous uni pasta. I love to indulge in this creamy, rich pasta. The fresh uni (sea urchin roe) is incorporated in the sauce and is also served raw on top of the noodles. This dish gives you a taste of the ocean. A friend of mine ate there recently and posted pictures on instagram. With food FOMO as my motivation, I attempted to recreate the uni pasta at home. I’m proud of this recipe because I think it comes pretty close to the yumminess that I experienced at EMC and it’s so easy to make! The only issue is fresh uni is not sold abundantly in markets where I live. I was able to find trays of frozen uni at Oto’s supermarket and it was still pretty delicious. However, if you can get your hands on fresh uni, it’ll be even tastier! I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I do!
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tray of uni
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons of melted butter
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 2 servings of linguine
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- Shredded nori (seaweed)
- Boil a pot of water for pasta. Make sure to always salt the water first. The water will boil faster and flavor the linguine as well. Cook to desired texture. (I like to cook the linguine al dente. When we toss the linguine in the sauce, the linguine will cook more).
- With a food processor, add 10 pieces of uni, heavy cream, egg yolks and melted butter. Puree until the sauce is smooth.
- Take a pan and add one tablespoon of butter. Add minced garlic to the butter and slightly brown. Add the sauce into the pan. Add tomato paste and stir. Then, add salt and pepper.
- Once the noodles are cooked, add the linguine directly from the pot into the sauce (the water from the pasta will help thicken the sauce a little more).
- Garnish the shredded nori over the pasta and place some fresh uni right on top.